The Royal Porcelain Factory Nymphenburg
the story of artistic handcraft
The ornate porcelain figurines, plates, cups and vases from the Nymphenburg Porcelain Factory, founded in 1747, are acclaimed and famous all over the world. Already in the first years of existence of the company, the Factory collaborated with renowned artists, architects and designers and realized their designs in the finest porcelain.
In the long-established Nymphenburg Porcelain Factory, the greatest importance is attached to handcraft. The fine porcelain pieces are therefore made entirely by hand in the master workshops of the house, by traditional techniques handed down from generation to generation, and craftsmanship is second to none.
Since 1761 the Nymphenburg Royal Porcelain Factory has been situated in the Nymphenburg Palace. To date, the power of the water in the Nymphenburg channel has been utilized to drive the mechanical equipment in the production facility.
In 1765, more than 180 employees worked in the factory, and King Ludwig I, a lover of fine porcelain, supplied the company with many orders. At that time, table service sets with Bavarian landscapes or copies of famous paintings were particularly popular.
In the 19th century, the focus of production shifted towards the technical and medical fields, however, the product range continued to include fine tableware. A new market opened up for the production of more robust Hotel porcelain, with which primarily monasteries were supplied. Towards the end of the 19th century, the Nymphenburg Porcelain Factory produced increasingly more elegant Art Nouveau tableware.
Although badly damaged during the Second World War, the factory was able to start up again quite quickly after the war. Particularly valuable models had survived the war turmoil due to storage in another, less destroyed part of the castle.
The occupying powers quickly discovered the magnificence of Nymphenburg porcelain and in the postwar years, the members of the American occupation army were the main customers.
Today the Royal Nymphenburg Porcelain Factory occupies a leading global position in their industry. The high artistic standards with which the manufacturer manufactures their products, also attracts many well-known personalities. For example, Queen Elizabeth II paid a visit to the factory in 1965, and the sultan of Oman was impressed in 1996 by the manufacture of porcelain objects entirely by hand. Even Pope Benedict visited the factory during 2006.
During your stay in Munich you should definitely visit the Royal Nymphenburg Porcelain Factory and discover for yourself the noble beauty of artfully crafted objects. The factory and the Nymphenburg Palace are both situated only a few minutes’ walk from Laimer Hof Hotel.